(Yes I’m aware that this is the most dramatic title I could find)
A while back, I can’t believe it’s already been his long, I did a recap of my musical discoveries of 2018. It was really fun to lay down all the tunes that had kept me company during long commutes in the winter and late homework sessions. Let’s look back roughly at my songs.
Begining of 2019, I listened to Florence + The Machine (I’d even say almost excusively). High as Hope, Ceremonials and How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful; all shuffled together.
End of 2019 I remember crafting a playlist of songs to listen to at 5:40am in the RER to go to a special facility for my lab practicals in the south suburbs of Paris. It was full of lowkey depressing songs like Talia (King Princess), Aurore (Elia), The End of Love (Florence + The Machine) or Black Bird (Shake Shake Go) to cite a few.
Begining of 2020, right before the world ended, I remember re-discovering Mr. Brightside (The Killers) which became my religion for the next 6 months, Fast Car (Tracy Chapman), People I’ve been Sad (Christine and the Queens) and Would That I (Hozier). Those 4 songs basically got me through the first months of 2020 and the lockdown.
The summer commute to my internship was accompanied by In the Name of Love (Bebe Rexha & Martin Garrix), Mr. Brightside again, RAIN (Ben Platt) and When It Rains (Paramore).
In autumn of 2020, I got Deezer Premium and it made me rediscover music to a whole new level: I started crafting playlists and listening to whole albums. I haven’t stopped yet, and that is why I thought I would share the music that got me through (I know it’s getting redundant but really, it helped) two other lockdowns, finals, burn out and slumps.
Without further ado, here are the albums I listened to:
- Wasteland, baby!, the album by Hozier
- Transmissions by Starset (go listen to Halo)
- Noël, Josh Groban’s Christmas songs album (worth putting here because of my grandma’s precious reaction to hearing the songs)
- i,i by Bon Iver
- Birhtplace by Novo Amor, and Bathing Beach (I call those dupes to Bon Iver because I can barely tell which song is by who and I listen to them in a string of indsrupted music, meaning I don’t know any title to any song)
- Build a Problem by dodie (this is here as honorable mention, I listened to it in one sitting and then never replayed any song but I love dodie)
- La Vita Nuova by Chris(tine and the Queens), and Ungodly hours by Chloe x Halle, to pass time during that one 12h bus ride
- Tickets to my downfall, by Machine Gun Kelly, which is the album that probably had the most impact on me this year. I love about 90% of the songs (which is super rare for me to listen to whole albums) and it launch my emo punk rock revival era or something, anyway
- SURVIVOR GUILT: THE MIXTAPE// by KennyHoopla and Travis Barker (this is also some punk rock revival shit but it slaps)
- Inside (The Songs), by Bo Burnham (these are the songs from the comedy special Inside that Bo Burnham created during the lockdown). I think this special broke a piece of my soul, in a good but painful way. Please watch it (if you’re mentally okay) and cry with me when All Eyes On Me starts (I’m listening to it as I’m writing this)
And that is it for the albums (that’s already more than usual though). I won’t go into details for each songs because I listen to very miscellaneous stuff – January and February were mostly movie soundtracks and anime openings for example!
Hope you enjoyed this mid-year musical update 🙂